Friday, August 22

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

can you keep a secret? Cause this is some serious stuff here............


We have officially made it through the first week of school and I have a big surprise for the kiddos.....I won't be picking them up in my uber chic minivan (you know that is gonna traumatize them LOL)....instead I will arrive in a friend's vehicle to snatch up our combined crew & we are headed to the Alaska State Fair!



You gotta understand living here in AK, the fair is a huge deal.....we are talking BIG TIME! It is funny & scary all at the same time. All the kids beg to go, all the teenagers sport their skankiest outfits to troll for dates (okay not ALL of the teenagers, but a huge number of them), and all the adults go to stuff their faces with any kind of fair food you can possibly imagine. And while you can find a fair just about anywhere in the good ole U.S.of A., you have to keep in mind we only have 1 (yes, just 1) fair per year. There's no driving to the next town or county to go to another fair. There's no Six Flags or even rinky-dink amusement parks. This is IT! And boy is it expensive.......$10 per person admission, food is crazy insane high & the Alaska Fair gurus don't believe in all-you-can-ride armbands. I *think* last year it cost us about $60 for ride tickets and our kids each only got about 6 rides. It is highway-stinkin-robbery! Yet, it is a HUGE Alaskan tradition. I mean how can you possibly not go to see the 100lb cabbages & 700lb+ pumpkins???


And the kids know nothing about it! I love surprises! Love, love love 'em!! The kids know we are gonna do something fun but I have been convincing for them for months now that I wasn't messin' with the fair chaos this year. I even overheard them trying to figure out what we are doing . They discussed that it can't possibly be the fair "cuz mom said we weren't going this year." Can you say 'Bah Humbug?' But I am giving in & I will brave all of the craziness. They are gonna be sooooooooooooooooo excited!

So I am thankful that it is Friday so I can have my kiddos home with me for 2 whole days. I've missed them this week. However, I don't know how much quality time we'll get together as they sleep off the inevitable sugar-hangovers as a result of all the fair food. And while they'll be thinkin' mama is the greatest tonight, they will surely change their tunes as I detox them with copious amount of green smoothies for the next 2 days . :) Hey, what are moms for?!


But you gotta promise not to tell................

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

ya'll have fun tonight!!

Brittany said...

sounds awesome!! I can't wait to hear how they reacted! :)

the dragonfly said...

Surprises are so much fun!! Did you have a good time?

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

I hope you had fun at the Fair. I miss those days in Colorado. I remember how big of a deal it was to go. What is up with no ride wristbands.

Fair Food is the best {yet I am sure the worst too}.

We no longer have our Six Flags in Houston, but at least we can drive over to San Antonio or Dallas. Grr!

Can't wait to hear how it all went.